Your favorite TV show is about to start within a few minutes, but the TCL TV refuses to power up. There might be different reasons: its cable is damaged or an unexpected software glitch. It’s hard to label a problem, surely. A question also arises in such situations of hurry and complexity: can you fix the TV?
You can take a few measures to remove the glitch, fix the cable, or check the settings with the help of guidelines. A TCL TV is a complicated and delicate device, so I do not recommend opening its core wiring because 90% of TVs suffer from the conditions I mentioned initially. Let’s deeply dive into the details of TCL TV power issues and see the simple solutions.
I have been checking TCL TVs for over a decade, and in these years, I observed that most people have these three issues I mentioned in the quick fixes. But they do not bother to check and call a professional who charges them more than 400 bucks for only checking the issues.
If you are facing a condition, you should try these three quick fixes, and in case the TCL TV still doesn’t turn on after these hacks, follow my instructions further.
Before proceeding, I want to mention that you should contact the company if a problem has occurred with your brand-new TCL TV. In my experience, they do not wear out easily and have a long service life. It is possible that if it is ON 24/7, it may wear out.
TCL TV Not Turning ON
There are multiple reasons, so we cannot say these TVs face a specific issue. Firstly, a machine deteriorates with time because of its limited service life. When we use that machine too often, it can decay quickly, and in the end, it starts facing power issues.
Secondly, there are possibilities that your TCL TV does not have a deterioration problem but has system or software issues. For example, the cable has frayed or damaged, broken LED panels, blown fuses or capacitors, and software glitches. These issues seem complicated to solve, but with proper guidance, you will quickly fix them within a few minutes; see the troubleshooting hacks below.
Power Cycle Issues
The power cycle problem occurs only in modern TCL TVs because of their complexity, structure, and the abundance of large software models used. It is possible that the code error may cause a glitch, and you have to face a dark screen with no power. The power cycle issue may also occur because of sudden power fluctuations and disturbances.
- Step 1: Disconnect the power by unplugging the wire of the TCL TV from the source.
- Step 2: Hold the power button for 30 seconds after disconnecting power.
- Step 3: Now, wait 3 to 5 minutes before reconnecting the plug into the source.
- Step 4: Reconnect the power and turn on the TV; it will start working.
Advantages: A software glitch has occupied your TCL TV; therefore, it was not turning on. But with the help of a power cycle reset, you have deleted the glitch and reset the system. Now, you can enjoy your favorite TV show.
Another common issue that people face is the TCL TV’s black screen. It is similar to this one and can be fixed by applying these techniques.
Cable Connection Issues
The majority of people face damaged cable power, which rodents have chewed. I recommend undergrounding the TCL TV wiring or using a wire tube to cover the cable, so the potential risks of broken cable or physically damaged wire are low.
- Step 1: Check the connection by plugging the cable into the wall outlet and attaching another end to the TV circuit.
- Step 2: If there is no power, you should verify the cable from one end to another if there is no damage.
- Step 3: If you find any damage, you can use a cutter and a piece of cable to remove the damaged part and then attach the new one. Use electric tape to cover the junctures or install a new cable.
- Use a wire tube to cover the cable or have an underground connection wiring.
- Keep the power cable away from the pets and children.
The power cable may be working properly, but the cable used with the TV box is damaged. These cables are called HDMI cables, and they are widely available in the market, so if any of them malfunction, you can replace them with another. Check if the TV is working after the replacement.
The TV turned on fine but went black after 10 to 15 minutes. It means the power is coming to the TV. Still, some interruptions are caused by faulty wires, malfunctioning plugs, broken surge protectors, or sockets not providing adequate energy.
A surge protector is a device used to avoid sudden high voltages. It protects the system from short circuits and carefully turns the device off if the voltages are low or higher than the requirement. If the TV is not working properly, you should remove the surge protector and connect it directly to the power source; if the device turns on, you need a new surge protector.
Power Outlet Issues
There is a list of possibilities in which a malfunctioning wall outlet has an 80% chance to occur. If you have not renewed the house wiring for a long time and are using the wall outlets without working on their maintenance, you may face wall outlet failure issues. Sometimes, there is a very small short circuit, and at times, there is no sign that the wall outlets have worn out.
The only solution to a malfunctioning wall outlet is that you have to replace it. If the TV is not turning on, you can connect another device, such as a phone charger, to see if the socket works. If the problem is with the socket, you need to replace it with a new one.
Remote Controller Issues
The socket is working, the plug is fine, and there is no cable damage or power issues, but the TV is still not turning on. That is because your TV remote controller has problems, whether its battery has worn out or its buttons are not working. If your TV supports a cell phone remote, you can turn it on using an application of the TCL TV, which allows you to use a remote by attaching your TV and cell phone; otherwise, you need to fix the remote controller.
- Step 1: Remove the back cover of the remote and then take the old batteries out. Check their power level with the help of an electric meter.
- Step 2: Remote controller batteries are widely available in the market so that you can replace AA batteries. Put the new batteries like the previous ones and cover up the back.
- Step 3: Turn on the TV and check the remote. If the remote controller is not working correctly, you must change the remote.
Just like TCL, sometimes Hisense TV won’t turn ON. Applying these fixes will help to turn that ON.
Incorrect Input Source
Sometimes, the power is refined, and the remote controllers are working, but the problem is with the input source. When you turn on the TV, it has power, but the screen stays blank because of the incorrect input source; thus, you see a dark screen. There are two possible causes of the issues: first, you are using wrong or unsuitable HDMI cables, and second, the box is not properly connected to the TV.
- Step 1: Turn on the TV using the power button or remote.
- Step 2: Go to the source menu by pressing the “Source” button on the remote.
- Step 5: Ensure you have selected the “TV” for the input source.
The method varies from model to model, so if you have the oldest or the latest, you should seek help from the manual. You can copy the steps I have mentioned here, but if you encounter a new option, you should search for the maximum duration to understand the purpose of that option. Do not change the complicated settings of the TV by mindlessly selecting the other options.
People do not update the operating system and download useless files or applications that later malfunction. Ultimately, the system goes down, and you cannot turn it on without a factory reset.
If you do not know, it is a reset in which you renew the entire operating system by deleting the downloaded files and formatting the settings you changed. There are multiple ways to factory reset; let’s look at how to eliminate software glitches.
- Step 1: Turn on the TV by connecting it to the power source.
- Step 2: Find the “Reset” button on the front side near the power button or on the back side of the TV.
- Step 3: The button’s shape may vary; some have click buttons, while others require pressing needles or hairpins.
- Step 4: Press and hold the reset button for about 20 seconds and leave after the TV restarts. If the reset has removed the glitch, the TV will turn on with the default setting.
- Step 1: Go to the TV settings by pressing the “Settings” button on the remote.
- Step 2: Scroll down until you see “Device Preferences” and select this option.
- Step 3: Select “Reset” among the options, select “Factory data reset” and insert PIN.
- Step 4: It will take a few minutes, and the TV will restart after the reset with default settings.
It is important to note that the device will delete or format all the personalized settings memory. It will also discard the downloaded files, the saved videos, and the history. After resetting and personalizing the dashboard, you can change settings according to your preferences.
TV may have none of the above problems, but the components inside the device are broken or burned. There are all kinds of components, such as capacitors, chips, and some TVs with small fans to cool down the large boards of chips. The sudden power low or high may hurt the board or burn the components.
You are not recommended to change the complicated parts of the TV on your own without professional assistance. Secondly, the board of chips is a very delicate piece of electronics, so replacing the board is a daunting technical task. Lastly, you should contact a professional if you find more than one broken part.
Instruction: You need an electric meter to check the power level of components. If they are not working, replace them.
- Step 1: Disassemble the back panel of the TV to access the broken or blown components.
- Step 2: Take a picture before you touch the board to remember the locations of the cables. Disconnect the motherboard cables one by one.
- Step 3: Use the electric meter to check the capacitors, transistors, and diodes. One major reason the TVs do not turn on is because these components malfunction.
Broken Backlight LED Panel
Sometimes, the backlight LED panel does not work properly. It is the part that lights up the screen and fills it with colors. In case the part is damaged, the screen will stay dark until you do not replace the backlight LED panel, so see the steps to change the LED panel.
Diagnostic Method: Turn on the TV and use a flashlight to shine the screen, and if the light is dim, the Backlight Panel is not working.
- Step 1: You cannot repair the broken or damaged backlight panel. Purchase a new one to install on the TV.
- Step 2: Use a screwdriver and cutter to remove the old backlight panel from the TV.
- Step 3: Install the new one by attaching it to the board and connecting it to the power source.
- Step 4: Use a flashlight to shine on the TV. If the light is not dim, the backlight panel is working.
I do not recommend changing the backlight panel without the proper guidance and professional help. It is one of the most delicate parts of the TV, which is also connected to hundreds of other components, so if you carelessly change the backlight, it may damage the other components.
You can contact TCL support for help or claim your TV’s warranty if it does not turn ON. They also have video tutorials to fix similar issues.
In the end, you might need to purchase a new TV. Lastly, purchase a panel according to your TV’s model and serial number; each model has a different panel.
How long does a TCL TV last?
The average service age of it is about 5 years. If you take proper care of the device and work on the maintenance, you can prolong its life.
Can it be repaired?
Yes, you can repair it if the issue is not complicated enough. However, you can contact the customer support for assistance.
Does my TCL TV have a warranty?
Yes, it has a 1-year warranty.
How much does it cost to fix its screen?
It depends upon the nature of the issue. The average cost of the screen repair is from $400 to $600.
Why is my TV not working?
There are several reasons the TCL TV is not working. For example, the cable is damaged, its backlight panel is not working, the board has faulty components, or the HDMI cables are not properly connected.
Dealing with TCL TV issues is not simple because one should have prior knowledge and guidelines to work on the damages. The repair may cost you hundreds of bucks, but you can learn to repair the common issues to avoid seeking professional help every month and paying your hard-earned money to an expert.
The possible risks and damages have been mentioned above, along with important notes and simple steps to solve them. I hope this information will help you in the future.